Tuesday, February 7, 2012

SF Architecture

Here is the Crown Zellerbach Paper Company building in San Francisco.  Looks like just another big office building? That's what I thought too. Todd and I took Rick Evan's Architecture Walking Tour this weekend when we visited the city, which opened our eyes to the history and art of the buildings in the Financial District that we typically wouldn't give second thought to.  I highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting the city, or even people who live there! Rick was a very engaging and fun tour guide. He has a couple other tours in the city that I hope to go to on another visit!


Anyways, back to this building.  This was the first glass building built in the city after World War II. You can notice the "sheen" on the grey section of the building. This is caused by light reflecting off of the materials used - 1 inch square Italian cut tiles!! The builder was Italian and insisted that most of the materials be brought in from Italy. According to Rick, this mosaic wall is so beautiful with the light reflecting off the emerald mosaics that fashion shoots take place here against the wall all the time. I took Rick's "fashion photo" here myself.

Some other things we enjoyed while in the city: dinners at Range and Bar Jules, breakfast at La Boulange, lunch at Epic Roasthouse (yes, most our travel focuses on food), shopping around Union Square, and driving through the Golden Gate park, Lincoln Park, and the Presidio.  Gotta love SF!

No comments: